Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Swordsman Romantic Story is a classic manga about a wandering swordsman in late 1870’s Japan. Considered one of the greatest mangas ever written it has it all: romance, sword-fights, over-the-top villains, and plot about peace and forgiveness.
In the early Meiji era, after participating in the Bakumatsu war as the assassin “Hitokiri Battōsai“, Himura Kenshin wanders the countryside of Japan offering protection and aid to those in need as atonement for the murders he once committed. When arriving in Tokyo in the 11th year of Meiji (1878), he meets a young woman named Kamiya Kaoru, who is in the middle of a fight with a murderer – who claims to be the Hitokiri Battōsai – tarnishing the name of the swordsmanship school that she teaches. Kenshin decides to help her and defeats the fake Battōsai.
The manga is 28 volumes long and is all available from Viz Media. It is just stuffed with real historical characters and started a passion for Japanese history for me. It was a fascinating time about Japan opening up to the west and what that meant to a very different culture. There is so much good stuff in this series and I loved every minute of it!
As one of the two anime’s we will be choosing from to watch in September I wanted to give a little information about the anime version of Ouran High School Host Club. The anime and the manga start the same but the ending of the anime is not the same as the manga. That’s because the manga was still going in Japan at the time of the anime’s end. The anime’s ending does have closure so you don’t feel like ‘Why did I waste my time?!‘. A 26-episode anime television series aired between April 5 and September 26, 2006 on Japan’s Nippon Television network. There are rumors about a second season but sadly just rumors of sad fangirls, like myself.
There was also a live-action TV series of Ouran began airing in Japan on TBS on July 22, 2011. The live-action adaption features Yusuke Yamamoto as Tamaki Suou and Haruna Kawaguchi as Haruhi Fujioka. Not bad but I think that some of the silliness of the anime was lost in the live-action series.
So come down to West Regional Library and kiss kiss fall in love with Ouran High School Host Club!
For all your Anime needs here’s the news and new releases for August 2 2016
- Assassination Classroom Volume 11 (Manga) US
- Attack on Titan 19 (Manga) US
- Attack on Titan 19 Special Edition w/DVD (Manga) US
- Black Clover Volume 2 (Manga) US
- Bleach (3-in-1 Edition) Volume 16 (Manga) US
- Dragonar Academy Volume 10 (Manga) US
- Easy Eats: A Bee & PuppyCat Cookbook (Book) US
- Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma Volume 13 (Manga) US
- Haikyu!! Volume 2 (Manga) US
- Kaze Hikaru Volume 24 (Manga) US
- Kuroko’s Basketball Volume 1 (Manga) US
- Maid-sama! (2-in-1 Edition) Volume 5 (Manga) US
- My Hero Academia Volume 5 (Manga) US
- One Piece Volume 79 (Manga) US
- So Cute It Hurts!! Volume 8 (Manga) US
- The Heiress and the Chauffeur Volume 2 (Manga) US
- Toriko Volume 35 (Manga) US
- Yona of the Dawn Volume 1 (Manga) US
- Yu-Gi-Oh! (3-in-1 Edition) Volume 7 (Manga) US
- Blood-C: Demonic Moonlight Volume 2 (Manga) US
- Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi: Complete Collection
- Samurai 7: Complete Collection
- The Rolling Girls: Complete Collection
- World Break – Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman: Complete Collection
- Attack on Titan, Vol.19 Graphic Novel SE w/DVD
- gourmet girl GRAFFITI: Complete Collection
- Gundam Build Fighters: Complete Collection
General Anime News
Godzille Films have Sold over 100 MIllion Tickets – https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-08-03/toho-29-godzilla-films-have-sold-over-100-million-tickets-in-japan/.104965
Funimation Previews D.Gray-ma Hallow English Cast – https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-08-03/funimation-previews-d.gray-man-hallow-english-dub-cast-in-new-video/.104957
Naruto Epilogue novels to TV anime this winter – https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-08-02/naruto-epilogue-novels-get-tv-anime-this-winter/.104956
Haruhi Fujioka is a scholarship student at the prestigious Ouran Academy, a fictitious high school located in Bunkyo, Tokyo. Looking for a quiet place to study, Haruhi stumbles upon the Third Music Room, a place where the Ouran Academy Host Club, a group of six male students, gathers to entertain female “clients.” During their initial encounter, Haruhi accidentally knocks over and breaks an antique vase valued at ¥8,000,000 (US$80,000 in Viz Media’s translation) and is told to repay the cost in service to the club as an errand boy. Haruhi’s short hair, slouching attire and gender-ambiguous face cause her to be mistaken by the hosts for a male student. After a brief run as such, the Hosts soon realize that she’s a “natural” in entertaining girls and promote her to full-Host status. She agrees since Hosting will help her pay off her debt more quickly. The members of the club discover her true gender one by one, but they keep this fact a secret.
One of the funniest shows I have ever seen Ouran Highschool Host Club has it all. It has humor, heart, and some really great characters. The romance is very light; with the over-the-top humor taking the center stage. That said the relationships between all the characters is the driving force of the series. It is a kind of Japanese humor called Fujoshi comedy. It can be loosely defined as humorous anime with predominantly male casts that cater to shipping-obsessed fangirls. But Ouran is so much more than that. It talks about issues like bulling and others expectations but overall the it is a comedy with a heart of gold. All 18 volumes are out in the US published by Shojo Beat which is owned by Viz Media. The first two volumes are available for check out at the Mobile Public Library.