In 2007, Hana to Yume announced an anime adaptation of Special A, animated by Gonzo and AIC;the animated series ran for 24 episodes from April 6, 2008 to September 14, 2008 in Japan.
In 2013, Hana to Yume released a single volume sequel called Special A – Street Fight.
In 2007’s 21st issue of Hana to Yume, it was announced that S.A would have a 24 episode anime adaptation. The anime began airing in Japan on April 6, 2008.
The anime has been picked up for release in North America by Sentai Filmworks; it is distributed by Section23 Films. The first part of season 1 came out on November 10, 2009, and the second collection was released on January 19, 2010. A complete collection was released on April 4, 2011. The series was re-issued again featuring a new English dub on July 16, 2013. In Italy was broadcast on Rai 4 on May 22, 2011 at 10.30am and ended October 30, 2011.
- Hikari Hanazono
- Hikari is the accomplished protagonist of the story and is ranked 2nd in the school. She is energetic and kindhearted, but rather dense to more subtle matters, in particular love. Unlike her peers, she comes from an ordinary family and her father is a carpenter. When she was six years old she experienced her first defeat and humiliation when she lost to Kei Takishima in a pro-wrestling match. In order to beat Kei, Hikari convinced her father to allow her to attend Kei’s prestigious elite school and strives to defeat Kei at anything, from academics to athletics. She is completely unaware of Kei’s strong feelings towards her but later she realizes that she loves Kei.
- Kei Takishima
- Kei is Hikari’s rival and holds the 1st position in the entire school; he is good at everything he does and is always a smooth winner. Kei has been in love with Hikari since they were children, but Hikari has been too distracted by their rivalry to realize his feelings for her. While he maintains a stoic and cool facade most of the time, he loses his composure whenever Hikari is in trouble or gets too close to another boy. He is the son of the CEO of Takishima Corporation.
- Jun Yamamoto
- Jun is ranked 3rd in school and is the son of a music producer and a talented vocalist. Like Megumi, he is very possessive of Ryuu and seems to worry Ryuu as much as he worries about the two of them. Jun is rather shy around girls, which resulted in a split personality that enables him to charm almost all women effortlessly. Unlike the rest of his friends, he tends to be quiet and rarely gets involved with any disputes. He also becomes the object of Sakura Ushikubo’s love, who is introduced halfway through the anime series. Jun later returns Sakura’s love.
- Megumi Yamamoto
- Megumi holds the 4th position in school and is the older twin sister of Jun. She and her brother are very close to Ryuu, whom they have known since they were children. Megumi refuses to speak so as to preserve her singing voice and writes what she wishes for people to know on a sketchpad. When she sings, her voice is so devastatingly powerful at a close range that everyone who stands near ends up dazed and disoriented afterward. She develops feelings for Yahiro Saiga, and they later become a couple.
- Tadashi Karino
- Tadashi ranks 5th in school and is the son of the school’s director. He suffers from a bit of wanderlust, likes to travel alone and do whatever he wants or sees fit. Tadashi seems to end up as the character most comically attacked (frequently by Akira) because of his careless comments or reckless behavior. He enjoys eating sweets, especially food made by Akira. Though Tadashi loves Akira, he isn’t certain how to tell her directly, though they later manage to become a couple after realizing they feel the same way for one another.
- Akira Toudou
- Akira holds the 6th position in school and is very fond of Hikari; as a result, she is very protective of her–especially when it comes to Kei and Hikari being together. She loves afternoon tea and is very fond of cute girls. Despite being in love with Tadashi, Akira constantly beats him up (which he takes humorously). She is the daughter of the owner of an airline company. She and Kei were childhood friends of Yahiro, though their friendship broke apart because of Yahiro’s controlling behavior.
- Ryuu Tsuji
- Ryuu ranks 7th in the school and is the son of the CEO of a sports car company. He is an animal lover and is very good at handling children. The twins are unusually close to him because they have been together since childhood. It is hinted that perhaps he is smarter than 7th place (he is shown in an episode to finish 1000 questions in 10 minutes and get them all correct), but spends the majority of the time during exams worrying about Jun and Megumi, who tend to become bored or sleep during tests. He also gets extremely angry when his friends’ happiness is threatened.