The series was adapted as a Taiwanese drama in 2002 and a Japanese animated television series in 2005. On mid-March of 2016, the live-action film adaptation was announced. The film was released in Japan on May 20, 2017. The animated TV series is distributed by Funimation Entertainment in North America.
- Momo Adachi
- The main character. Her given name means ‘peach’ in Japanese. She has tanned skin and light hair (derived from her constant swimming in chlorinated pools while on the swim team), mistakenly giving others the impression that she is a “beach bunny”, lover of the Ganguro style, or sexually promiscuous. On the contrary, Momo is a shy, insecure girl. She has loved Toji for many years, although later on she finds herself falling in love with Kairi. When she found out Toji disliked girls with tan skin, she started to avoid swimming pools and wore a lot of sunblock to get her skin to its original color (presumed to be fair). Later on, Momo finds out that Toji never said he disliked girls with tan skin. Her friend (Ryoko) from junior high had made that up because she had liked him too. She is often confused later on when she likes both Toji and Kairi at the same time, causing several disputes between the two boys.
- Sae Kashiwagi
- The main antagonist who does everything to ruin Momo’s life. Her fair features (pale skin, dark hair) serve as a contrast for Momo; her “innocent” appearance belies her scheming, mischievous, trouble making nature. She is the one who spreads malicious gossip about Momo; something Momo knows, but has trouble dealing with, as people are more apt to believe in Sae than the ‘airheaded ganguro girl’ to the point that Toji believed Sae over Momo (who was currently his girlfriend). She often uses the gossip to make people dislike Momo, as a result of her own jealousy and insecurity. She spreads rumors that she is dating Toji, and that Momo is trying to steal him from her when it is actually the other way around. She really is mean and doesn’t care for Momo and isn’t her “real” friend. All she wants is popularity in school, to humiliate Momo, and to get Toji all for herself. She will stop at nothing to complete this task. Later, she dates a male model named Jigoro and in the end exploits him to help break up Toji and Momo, the nastiest scheme she has ever plotted. She begins to repent after she falls in love with Ryo and understands the hurtful feeling that she caused Momo, when Ryo seemingly gets her pregnant (it later turns out to be a medical condition that simulates pregnancy) and subsequently abandons her.
- Kairi Okayasu
- A popular and carefree classmate of Momo’s. Sae goes after him after Momo lies that she likes him to protect her and Toji’s relationship, but he is the only boy to see straight through Sae for what she really is. He has the reputation of being a playboy, something he is not exactly proud of. He thought that Momo was the one who once gave him CPR when he had nearly drowned at the beach when they were younger; only to later find out he had been saved by the local male lifeguard. His interest in her is renewed when Sae spreads rumors about them being a couple; he adds to this by claiming he has kissed Momo. When Momo is upset by his rumor, he tries to make the rumor true by kissing her unexpectedly in the beginning of the series.
- After the two start dating, his insecurities about relationships are revealed to stem from his unrequited love for Misao, the school nurse and Kairi’s former tutor. However, after he confesses and is shot down by her, he actually feels relieved and confident to pursue his relationship with Momo. He begins fighting over her with Toji and in the end they get back together.
The English-language manga uses the non standard romanization “Kiley Okayasu“. Other groups, such as FUNimation, Kodansha, and non-English language publishers, use “Kairi”.
- Kazuya “Toji” Tojigamori
A boy who has been Momo’s crush since junior high school although she never then confessed to him due to a friend saying he “doesn’t like girls with tan skin”. He overhears Momo confess her love for him to Kairi and then eventually dates Momo but Sae wants him for herself. He has a good heart, but tends to be hard headed and oblivious to what is in front of him, believing what Sae says over what Momo says, much to the frustration of Momo. Sae later blackmails Toji into dating her using pictures of Momo and Jigoro in a hotel bed together. He then breaks up with Momo. After this Momo starts dating Kairi.
The Tokyopop manga renders his family name as “Toujikamori”.
- Misao Aki
The school nurse and a big sister figure for Momo. Misao was once Kairi’s tutor and crush, and an old flame of Ryo’s. Although she dated and broke up with him, she still loves him.
- Ryo Okayasu
- Kairi’s older brother who works in the video game industry. He serves as a male counterpart to Sae, only he is significantly more dangerous. Ryo is in love with Misao, and dated her briefly, but Misao broke up with him because of his cold and manipulating attitude which is revealed when he smacks Sae after hurting Misao.
- Sae meets him and quickly falls for him because of their obvious similarities, though Ryo barely takes the relationship seriously and treats Sae poorly. When Sae tells him she is pregnant with his child he gives her money. Ryo is quite touched by Sae when she tells him she wants to make a family with him that will love him. After they find out Sae had a false pregnancy, the two split. However, Ryo stills feels happy about what Sae told him, and seems to be interested in having kids.
- Goro Ooji
- He is called Jigoro (ジゴロー Jigorō) and is a male model who is smitten with Sae and unaware of her true personality. She uses him in her schemes against Momo.
- A young woman who once dated both Okayasu brothers, Morika has a grudge against Ryo and tries to use Kairi against him. Morika hires some thugs to beat up Ryo as revenge for using her.