An anime adaptation produced by Warner Bros., Hakusensha, Showgate, The Klockworx Co. Ltd., Hakuhodo DY Media Partners, Docomo Anime Store, BS Fuji and Bones aired the first half of the season in Japan between July 6, 2015 and September 21, 2015. The second half of the season aired in Japan between January 11, 2016 and March 28, 2016.
An anime television series adaptation was announced in 2015 April issue of Hakusensha’s LaLa magazine. The anime adaptation is produced by Warner Bros., Hakusensha, Showgate, The Klockworx Co. Ltd., Hakuhodo DY Media Partners, Docomo Anime Store, BS Fuji and Bones, which handled the animation. The anime was directed by Masahiro Andō and the script was written by Deko Akao with character designs by Kumiko Takahashi. The opening theme is “Yasashii Kibou” by Saori Hayami and the ending theme is “Kizuna ni Nosete” by Eyelis. Funimation has licensed the series for online streaming in North America. AnimeLab has secured streaming rights in Australia & New Zealand. An Original Anime DVD (OAD) bundled with limited edition of 15th volume of the original manga. The 30-minute OAD features the same cast and staff with the anime television series. It adapts three chapters from the original manga (chapter 41, special chapter from volume 7, and special chapter from volume 11), and will not air as part of the anime television series. The OAD ending theme is “Ginsekai” by Eyelis.
The second season of the anime television series aired in Japan from January 11, 2016 to March 28, 2016. The opening theme is “Sono Koe ga Chizu ni Naru” by Saori Hayami and Ending theme is “Page ~Kimi to Tsudzuru Monogatari~” by Eyelis.
- Voiced by: Saori Hayami (Japanese); Brina Palencia (English)
- Shirayuki is the main protagonist of the story. Born with rare red hair, she often has to hide it due to how it easily attracts attention. She escapes from the kingdom of Tanbarun after its prince orders her to become his concubine. Independent and persistent, she meets Zen on her second day in the kingdom of Clarines and befriends him after tending to his wounds. Later, she is accepted as a royal pharmacist and trains under Garack and Ryu. Shirayuki has demonstrated her abilities as a pharmacist in various situations, particularly in identifying and controlling disease outbreaks in foreign areas. She has a close relationship with Zen, and falls in love with him over the course of the story despite opposition due to their difference in social status. She moves into the east wing of Wistal Castle in chapter 49, and is later reassigned as a pharmacist to Lyrias for two years in chapter 53.
- Zen Wistalia
- Voiced by: Ryōta Ōsaka (Japanese); Josh Grelle (English)
- Zen is the second prince of Clarines, and meets Shirayuki on a trip outside the castle. Shortly after befriending her, he is poisoned by an apple meant for Shirayuki, but obtains the antidote with her help. Initially, Zen is often seen escaping his duties to experience Clarines first-hand, though he has since taken more responsibility over official work. He has a close relationship with his three aides, Mitsuhide, Kiki, and Obi, and has both their respect and genuine loyalty. Over the course of the story, he falls in love with Shirayuki, and rescues her from various dangers.
- Mitsuhide Lowen
- Voiced by: Yūichirō Umehara (Japanese); Ian Sinclair (English)
- Mitsuhide is one of Zen’s closest aides, he was appointed by Prince Izana to watch over Zen (despite initially wanting to be Izana’s retainer) and is a skilled swordsman. Though their relationship was initially rocky, he is seen by Zen as both a close friend and reliable aide. He is extremely loyal though somewhat clumsy at times, as well as a little silly. In chapter 92 he is offered a marriage proposal by Kiki Seiran, which he declines.
- Kiki Seiran
- Voiced by: Kaori Nazuka (Japanese); Jamie Marchi (English)
- Kiki is one of Zen’s closest aides, and arrives at the castle some time after Mitsuhide. As the heir to the household of the Seiran family, her father expects her to return home to assume responsibility after her time serving Zen. Reserved, independent and intelligent, Kiki is extremely loyal to protecting Zen (and later Shirayuki as she becomes part of Zen’s life) and is most often seen with Mitsuhide. She has stated (to Zen) that when the time comes, she will propose to Mitsuhide. Like Mitsuhide, she is skilled at swordplay and is often seen training the soldiers or dueling with him. In chapter 92 Kiki confesses and proposes to Mitsuhide, which he later declines.
- Voiced by: Nobuhiko Okamoto; (Japanese); Austin Tindle (English)
- Obi is one of Zen’s self-proclaimed aides. Originally sent by Marquis Haruka as a way to scare Shirayuki out of the castle, he later pledges himself to Zen after being discovered. It is hinted that he has feelings for Shirayuki, but his loyalty to both Zen and Shirayuki prevents him from acting out on his feelings. Obi has a relatively mysterious past as a loner, but finds himself drawn to protecting Zen, Shirayuki, and their respective goals. He later becomes Zen’s official messenger. With his quick movements and reflexes, he is often sent by Zen to protect Shirayuki at times when he cannot leave his royal duties. He has been seen using the alias “Nanaki”.