My Hero Academia is an adventure manga series written and illustrated by Kōhei Horikoshi. It has been serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump since July 2014, and 18 volumes have been collected in tankōbon format. The series has been licensed for English-language release by Viz Media, and began serialization in their weekly digital manga anthology Weekly Shonen Jump on February 9, 2015.
The story follows Izuku Midoriya, a boy born without superpowers in a world where they are the norm, but who still dreams of becoming a superhero himself, and is scouted by the world’s greatest hero who shares his powers with Izuku after recognizing his value and enrolls him in a high school for heroes in training.
My Hero Academia is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Kōhei Horikoshi. It began its serialization in the manga magazine Weekly Shōnen Jump in July 2014. As of November 2, 2017 the series been collected into sixteen tankōbon volumes. The series is licensed for English language release in North America by Viz Media, who published the first volume on August 4, 2015. As the series is published in Japan, it is also released simultaneously in English digitally by Viz Media’s Weekly Shōnen Jump. As of April 3rd 2017, 12 volumes have been released.
The manga was nominated for the 8th Manga Taishō in 2015. Volume 1 reached the 7th place on the weekly Oricon manga chart with 71,575 copies sold. It sold out almost immediately on its first printing. Volume 2 reached the 6th place, with 167,531 copies and, by January 18, 2015, had sold 205,179 copies. As of March 2017, there were over 10 million copies of My Hero Academia in circulation. The story has been noted to take inspiration from elements in superhero comics, such as the aesthetics of its characters.
- Izuku Midoriya / Deku
- Nicknamed Deku (an alternate spelling of his name which could be interpreted as “one who can’t do anything”), he is a timid but kind boy who is extremely knowledgeable about heroes and dreams to be one himself like his idol, All Might, despite lacking a Quirk due to the trait required to have one being too diluted to be passed on in his family. However, when he steps up to save his childhood acquaintance Katsuki from an evil villain, All Might is inspired by his strength of spirit, and bestows upon him his Quirk “One For All”, a Quirk that becomes more powerful the more people it is given to, and results in the user being able to call upon great physical strength. Izuku must hide the nature of his Quirk and his connection to All Might to protect the secret of One For All, which many would want to steal. At first, Izuku was only able to use the full power of his strength for specific moments, resulting in him severely damaging whichever part of his body he used. However he has since learned to channel the power throughout his body rather than in short bursts, but currently can only withstand around 8% of it. He eventually managed to perfect its use in his legs, creating a kick-related fighting style unique from All Might’s punching style. He also begins to develop a mental connection to the previous users of One For All through the Quirk. Despite these limitations, he makes up for it with a keen sense of strategy (having written at least thirteen notebooks on other heroes, including his peers) and an instinctive desire to save people. He dislikes the nickname Kacchan has given him until Ochako, upon first hearing it, tells him that she assumed it was based on the word dekiru, roughly meaning “able to do it.” From this moment on, Izuku embraces the moniker, and ultimately adopts it as his Hero name.
- Katsuki Bakugō
- Katsuki is one of Izuku’s childhood acquaintances and classmates in Class 1-A, whom Izuku calls Kacchan. He possesses the Quirk “Explosion”, which allows his palm sweat to become nitroglycerin and explode. He has made fun of Izuku for lacking a Quirk since childhood, despite them initially being close friends, and also the one who gave him his nickname as an insult. It was only after he grew up being praised by people around him for his Quirk and achievements that he became more egotistical and thought that others, particularly Izuku, are below him, becoming borderline sadistic and villainous. He started to bully and became truly hostile to Izuku when his attempts to reach out to Katsuki out of concern are misinterpreted by Katsuki into thinking he was looking down on him as someone in need of saving. In the beginning of the series, he thinks that he is the strongest hero, and dreams of becoming richer and more famous than All Might. He stops picking on Izuku after the latter’s attempt to save him from a villain, though he truly starts reflecting on himself only after Izuku defeated him in their battle training and seeing that many students possess greater and better skills than him.
- Ochako Uraraka
- Ochako, spelled “Ochaco” in the anime, is Izuku’s best friend. Her Quirk is “Zero Gravity”, which allows her to make any object she touches with her fingertips float, although she will become nauseous if she uses the ability too much. Aside from Katsuki, she also refers Izuku as “Deku” but unlike the former, she calls him with his nickname out of affection, commenting that “Deku” gives the vibe of never giving up, and eventually switches to Deku-kun, a move that prompted him to accept the name. She comes from a family of construction workers, and because there is not much of a market for them, they are poor. Due to this, Ochako aspires to become a hero for money so she can give her parents an easy life, after her father dissuaded her from following their footsteps in order for her to achieve her own goals. Ochako originally meets Izuku prior to U.A.’s entrance exam, after she stops him from falling over when he tripped on his own foot. This caused Izuku to develop a large crush on her (as he had “talked” to a girl), to the point of blushing and stammering every time he is with her. Izuku eventually returns the favor by saving her during the entrance exam, and several other characters later deduce that Ochako returns Izuku’s feelings, given her anxiety when asked about it.
- Tenya Iida / Ingenium
- The president of Class 1-A, a very studious boy who seems serious and scary at first glance, although he is just being honest and strict regarding qualifications to become a hero. During the entrance exam, he repeatedly chastises Izuku for what he perceives as disrespect. However, after he witnesses Izuku selflessly save Ochako during the exam, he comes to the (false) belief that Izuku deduced the true nature of the exam. Concluding Izuku is better than him, Tenya immediately apologizes for his behavior and befriends him, despite Izuku’s repeated attempts to tell him the truth. Tenya eventually becomes the class president after Izuku, who won by vote but was too nervous to hold the position, forfeited it to him. Tenya’s Quirk is “Engine”, which gives him super-speed via jet engines in his legs. He comes from a well-known family, who have been professional heroes for generations. His older brother in particular, Ingenium, inspired him to become a hero that will make his family proud. Originally using his own name as his Hero name, Tenya inherits his brother’s own name after he is crippled by Stain and forced to retire.
- Shōto Todoroki
- A student in Class 1-A. His Quirk is “Fire and Ice”, which makes the left side of his body control fire and the right side ice, though over use of one side would cause him to overheat or become frostbitten respectively. He is considered the strongest student in the class. He is the youngest child of Endeavor, who was said to be the second top hero after All Might. However, his father only married his mother for her Quirk, in the hopes that he could sire a child who could exceed All Might, leading to an abuse-ridden childhood as all of his older siblings were unable to meet his expectations. Shōto’s mother soon became afraid that Shōto would become like his father, leading to her burning his not yet active fire side with scalding water in hopes of making his father uninterested in him. Because she was later institutionalized in a mental hospital for her actions, Shōto intends to become a top hero using only his mother’s Quirk instead of his father’s as his way to disavow the latter. During his fight with Izuku, Shōto finally started to try accepting his Fire Quirk as his own instead of his father’s. Afterward, he decided to overcome his inner struggle by meeting his mother, in the hope that they can get through their past together. So far Shōto has used his own name as his Hero name.
- Toshinori Yagi
- The world’s greatest Hero, All Might’s real Quirk is unknown to the public and most people conclude that he has some strength-enhancing Quirk. He passes his quirk on to Izuku after seeing the boy’s bravery. He is a teacher at U.A. High School, doing his best to allow Izuku follow in his foot steps. His One For All Quirk enables him to pass on his powers to another, which he plans on doing as five years prior a fight with a Villain left All Might terribly injured to where he can only use his Quirk for three hours a day. This time limit later decreases gradually after passing his Quirk to Izuku, until it depletes completely. The nature of his Quirk is only known by Izuku, the school principal, Recovery Girl, and a select few other Pro Heroes (with Katsuki later finding it out), and must not be revealed at any cost in order not to destroy people’s symbol of peace. He is drawn in the style of American comic book superheroes rather than in the Japanese manga style of other characters, though the style changes to a more traditional manga form when he returns to his “true form”. After the final confrontation with his archenemy “All For One”, the same Villain who injured him, All Might succumbs to the point where he can only use his Quirk for a few seconds, and he retires from being a hero, dedicating himself solely to his duties as a teacher and to raise Izuku as his successor.