Haikyuu!! had an anime television series adaptation by Production I.G aired from April 2014 to September 2014, which has been licensed for digital and home release in North America by Sentai Filmworks The second season of the anime aired from October 2015 to March 2016. A third season aired from October 2016 to December 2016.
An anime television series produced by Production I.G premiered on April 6, 2014 on MBS, other JNN stations, and with English subtitles on Crunchyroll. From episodes 1-13, the opening theme song is “Imagination” by Spyair, while the ending theme song is “Tenchi Gaeshi” by Nico Touches the Walls. For episodes 14 through 25, the opening is “Ah Yeah” by Sukima Switch, and the ending is “LEO” by Tacica. “Ah Yeah” is also used as the ending for episode 14, which has no opening. The anime has been licensed for digital and home video release by Sentai Filmworks
A second season premiered on October 4, 2015. For episodes 1 through 13, the opening theme song is “I’m a Believer” by Spyair, while the ending theme song is “Climber” by Galileo Galilei. For episodes 14 through 25, the opening theme song is “FLY HIGH” by Burnout Syndromes, while the ending theme song is “Hatsunetsu (Fever)” by Tacica.
A third season, titled Haikyū!! Karasuno High School vs Shiratorizawa Academy, premiered on October 8, 2016. The opening theme song is “Hikariare” by Burnout Syndromes, while the ending theme song is “Mashi Mashi” by Nico Touches the Walls. Sentai Filmworks has also licensed the third season.
Supplementary compilation films have been released following the airing of the anime. After the first season and before the second season was aired in 2015, two compilation films were released. The first movie, Gekijō-ban Haikyu!! Owari to Hajimari was released on July 3, 2015 and the second movie, Gekijō-ban Haikyu!! Shōsha to Haisha premiered on September 18, 2015. Two more compilation films were announced to be unveiled in fall 2017 after the third season aired in 2016. Both films were released in September: the first film, Haikyu!! Sainō to Sense on the 15th and the second film, Haikyu!! Concept no Tatakai on the 29th.
Karasuno High School
The word ‘Karasu’ in the school name “Karasuno” means ‘crow’. This is why the volleyball flag has the word “Fly” on it. The team was referred to as “Flightless Ravens” or “Fallen Crows”, since they were formerly a strong team which even went to the nationals, but has been on the decline lately. Their team doesn’t have any play style, instead, opting to be open and always trying out new styles to play.
- Shōyō Hinata
- Hinata is a first-year student at Karasuno High School. He was initially a wing spiker in junior high school and is currently a middle blocker. His play style makes him an excellent decoy, and even though he wants to become the ace (since it is flashy), he learns the importance of a decoy in the team, and plays it excellently. He is generally upbeat, clumsy, and weak, however he is very athletic and has extraordinary jumping ability and amazing reflexes. He is able to play immensely well with the help of Kageyama. Although he is a beginner and has a small stature, he is determined to become a strong player and thus manages to grow rapidly through each match. Together with Kageyama, he forms the “weird duo”, due to their unnaturally fast quick attack.
- Tobio Kageyama
- Kageyama is a first-year student at Karasuno High School. He is currently a setter and was referred to as the “King of the Court” in junior high. While Kageyama exhibits prodigious talents as a player, he also has an arrogant demeanor and an inability to cooperate with teammates, instead opting to order them around, thus earning his nickname “King of the Court”. Unable to stand his attitude, his middle school team mates opted to stop playing with him in the middle of a match, which end up as a huge blow to him. After enrolling in Karasuno High School and joining the volleyball club where he meets Hinata, his opinions start to change and he begins to understand the importance of teamwork in a team sport. He tends to hide his feelings thus having bad social skills and frequently calls Hinata a “dumbass”. Together with Hinata, he forms the “weird duo”, due to their unnaturally fast quick attack.
- Daichi Sawamura
- Sawamura is the captain of the volleyball club and a third-year student at Karasuno High School. He is a wing spiker, and very dependable at receiving. As the captain he’s able to build a solid foundation of the team. He is kind, dependable, and doesn’t get easily discouraged, but all of his teammates also fear annoying him because he turns alarmingly terrifying when angry. He also believes in his teammates, allowing them time to grow, even waiting for them to get over their fights and issues, instead of trying to push them forward before time.
- Kōshi Sugawara
- Sugawara is the vice captain of the volleyball club and a third-year student at Karasuno High School. He used to be the main setter of the team, but since Kageyama’s addition to the team he has spent lesser time as setter on the court, and instead has played as pinch server. Sugawara has a refreshing and cheerful personality but his tactics are considered dangerous by opponents.
- Asahi Azumane
- Azumane is a third-year student at Karasuno High School and a wing spiker in the volleyball club. He’s considered to be the team’s ace. Despite his large physique (which makes people believe that he’s not really a high school student), spiking power and mature demeanor, he is very timid, and is often referred to as having a “glass heart”.
- Ryūnosuke Tanaka
- Tanaka is a second-year student at Karasuno High School and a wing spiker. He is loud, fierce and abrasive, but respects his seniors and looks out for his juniors. While on the court, he displays amazing mental strength, even when he is continuously targeted by the opposite team. Unfortunately, his behavior and appearance makes girls scared of him, and often gets him into trouble with others, needing Sawamura to stop him. He and Nishinoya adore their manager Shimizu.
- Yū Nishinoya
- Nishinoya is a second-year student at Karasuno High School and a libero. He is called “Karasuno’s Guardian Deity” because of his excellent and amazing skills as a libero, having won the “Best Libero” award while he was still in middle school. He has a very energetic personality and is ridiculously strong-hearted. He does tend to get carried away because he has so much passion and intensity. He is also mentioned to be the backbone of the team because whenever he is on the court, he assures all of his teammates that even if they get blocked, he will be there to pass it up so they are able to spike as many times as they need to win the point. He is also extremely loud and motivational, and is one of the only people able to bring the team up in good spirits right before matches against the better teams in the prefecture. He’s also the shortest player on the team. Like Tanaka, he adores Shimizu, in the episode he is introduced in, he mentions one of the main reasons he came to Karasuno in the first place was because he liked the girls’ uniforms.
- Chikara Ennoshita
- Ennoshita is a second-year student at Karasuno High School and a wing spiker. Despite his plain appearance, he is seen as the “leader” of the second-year students and possibly the only one able to control Nishinoya and Tanaka apart from Sawamura; being more responsible and able to say many things straightforwardly without drawback. Prior to the main storyline, he was one of many students who dropped out of the volleyball team due to high standards and extreme practice sessions of Coach Ukai Sr.. Eventually, due to his love for volleyball, he returns to the team to find that the coach has left.
- Hisashi Kinoshita
- Kinoshita is a second-year student at Karasuno High School and a wing spiker. He, along with Ennoshita and Narita, were one of many students who left the volleyball club during Ukai Sr.’s time coaching. He later starts specializing in jump float serve.
- Kazuhito Narita
- Narita is a second-year student at Karasuno High School and a middle blocker. He also left the volleyball team temporarily.
- Kei Tsukishima
- Tsukishima is a first-year student at Karasuno High School and a middle blocker. He looks down on Hinata at the beginning, stating that he should not rely on his jump. He often teases his teammates and also teases Kageyama by calling him “The King”, which angers him to the core. Despite his negative attitude and flippant view on volleyball, Tsukishima is a very analytic and smart blocker, along with his great height, which gives the team a great advantage. Though he also has a stand-offish demeanor and seems to not care about his teammates, it is revealed that he loves volleyball, cares a lot for the sport, and has stayed friends with Yamaguchi not because he felt obliged to because he defended Yamaguchi from bullies in elementary school, but because genuinely cares for him and enjoys playing volleyball with him. Later in the story, it’s revealed that he had an older brother that used to join Karasuno’s volleyball team. He is the tallest player on the team and is nicknamed “Tsukki” by Yamaguchi.
- Tadashi Yamaguchi
- Yamaguchi is a first year student at Karasuno High School and a middle blocker. He usually clings to Tsukishima after Tsukishima saved him from bullies at 3rd grade, despite being told to shut up numerous times. He is shy, but friendly, and tries his best to contribute to the team. With the help of Makoto Shimada, he has recently become a pinch server due to his ability to do the “jump float serve”.