Mob Psycho 100 is a Japanese webmanga created by ONE, which began publication on Ura Sunday on April 18, 2012, and concluded on December 22, 2017. A Chinese translation started publication in Taiwan on April 16, 2014. It has been available online on Shogakukan’s mobile app MangaONE since December 2014. Dark Horse Comics has licensed the series for English publication. In 2017, the manga won the 62nd Shogakukan Manga Award in the Shōnen category. A spin-off manga series titled Reigen launched in the MangaONE mobile app on March 19, 2018.
Shigeo Kageyama is an average middle school boy, nicknamed Mob (meaning “background character”) for lacking a sense of presence. Although he looks like an inconspicuous person, he is in fact a powerful esper. As he grows older, Mob realizes that his psychic powers are strengthening and becoming more dangerous. To avoid his power getting out of control, he constantly lives a life under an emotional shackle. Mob wants to live a normal life just like the others, but a barrage of trouble keeps coming after him. With the suppressed emotions growing inside Mob little by little, his power threatens to break through its limits.
- Shigeo Kageyama
- is an eighth grade Esper with powerful psychic abilities. His helmet hairstyle is his defining physical feature. He is not good at reading the atmosphere, and since childhood, has rarely felt or displayed intense emotion. He thinks his power is not necessary in his life, so he avoids using it. He suppresses his emotions to keep his power in control, but when the percentage of his accumulated feelings reaches 100, he is overcome by the strongest emotion he is feeling at the time and unleashes the full extent of his powers. He works at Reigen’s spirit counsel for 300 yen an hour. When he was asked to join the Telepathy Club so they wouldn’t be disbanded, he was introduced to the Body Improvement Club, which he then joined to become popular, in order to impress his secret love. He is also credited as Salt Middle School’s urabanchō (裏番長 is roughly translated as “secret school gang leader”) known as White T Poison but this fact remains unknown to many including himself. Shigeo also possesses an unknown power as explained by the narrator during his battle with Teruki which far surpasses even the height of his abilities, but is uncontrollable and only awakens when unconscious.
- Arataka Reigen
- Mob’s master, a self-proclaimed psychic who has his own spirit counsel (the “Talk About Spirits Agency”), which is cheap compared to competitors. He wasn’t getting much business, but after setting up a homepage on the internet, the number of assignments has increased. He is essentially a con artist and excels in persuasion, speech, and perception, as well as massage and whack-a-mole. He is clever and agile, claiming to have a greenbelt of Shaolin boxing. He is very afraid of cockroaches and likes dogs. Reigen solves his clients’ problems with a variety of skills (including Reigen’s “secret technique”); if that doesn’t work, he’ll call in Mob to deal with it. Even though he is a fraud, he treats Mob’s inner turmoil very seriously, and gives him pertinent suggestions. For better or worse, he is Mob’s mentor.
- An upper class evil spirit, devious and sly, characterized by the circular blush on his cheeks. In order to become a god worshiped by people, he established a religion/cult called (LOL), which was dissolved by Mob. After his defeat, his power fell off remarkably, and Mob came to regard him as reasonably harmless. Dimple thinks Mob might be a great springboard to godhood, so he stayed with Mob in order to exploit him, however this plan failed. Later in the series, he attempts the same thing with Mob’s brother, Ritsu. Dimple claims to be Mob’s partner. He can possess the bodies of others and release the full potential of his host, but he tries to avoid breaking the host’s body.
- Ritsu Kageyama
- Mob’s younger brother, grade 7. He is clever and competent, excelling at both academic and athletic performance. Having a handsome face, he is popular among girls. He is also a member of the Student Council. The only thing he’s lacking is psychic power. Because Mob is a strong Esper and Ritsu witnessed his immense power while growing up, Ritsu has always had an inferiority complex and an obsessive longing for psychic power of his own. He eventually developed his own psychic powers and became a fairly powerful esper but not as powerful as his big brother, as the strength of Ritsu’s psychic abilities are tied to his feelings of grief and guilt. After his abilities first awaken he allows Dimple to possess him in order to quickly gain control of his power, but ends up attracting the attention of Claw.
- Teruki Hanazawa
- Black Vinegar Middle School’s “ura banchou” (“hidden boss”), known to most as Teru. Also a strong Esper, he originally held scorn for people without psychic power, calling them “commoners.” Accustomed to using his power freely in daily life, be it exams or sports, he excels at it all. Coupled with his handsome looks, he is very popular. He’ll do a pigeon-toed pose when he fights seriously. After he is lectured and defeated by Mob, his perspective on psychic power changes, and he becomes more friendly to others. Teru later becomes the mentor for several low-leveled psychics that were captured by Claw. Teru always wanted to hang out with Mob and tries his best to be more kind and understanding to the people around him.
- Touichirou Suzuki
- The leader of Claw. Touichirou is a ruthless and cunning man who founded Claw for the sole purpose of world domination and use everyone he can to achieve this goal. Being an incredibly powerful psychic on par with Mob, he seeks to put the rest of humanity under his thumb. Touichirou is not entirely without a heart, however, as he also seeks to find his ex-wife who left him many years ago.
- Shou Suzuki
- The son of Touichirou Suzuki. Initially thought to be some random trainer sent to the 7th division from Claw’s HQ, he is revealed to have been scouting potential psychics for some unknown reason. Shou is an extremely powerful psychic, capable of easily smashing Ishiguro’s gravity orbs with little effort. Shou states that he can always find a way to deal with the psychic powers of his opponents. One of Shou’s most notable techniques allows him to refract light around him, rendering him invisible to the naked eye.