Clockwork Planet is a Japanese light novel series, written by Yuu Kamiya and Tsubaki Himana, and illustrated by Shino. Kodansha has published four volumes since April 2, 2013 under their Kodansha Ranobe Bunko imprint. The story is set in a clockpunk fantasy version of the world, in which the entire planet is run by clockwork. The main characters are five people (a machine otaku, two automata, a young technician and a bodyguard) who, after a month of meeting, become the world’s most infamous terrorists.
A manga adaptation illustrated by Kuro was serialized in Kodansha’s shōnen manga magazine Monthly Shōnen Sirius since 2013 and ended in August 2018. It has been collected in ten tankōbon volumes. An anime television series adaptation by Xebec aired from April 6 to June 22, 2017.
An anime adaptation of the light novel series was announced in December 2015, which was later confirmed to be an anime television series adaptation in December 2016. The series is directed by Tsuyoshi Nagasawa and written by Kenji Sugihara, with animation by Xebec, character designs by Shuichi Shimamura and mechanical designs by Kenji Teraoka. The music is composed by Shū Kanematsu, Hanae Nakamura, Kaori Nakano and Satoshi Hōno. The opening theme titled “Clockwork Planet” is sung by fripSide, while the ending theme titled “Anti Clockwise” is sung by After The Rain. It aired from April 6 to June 22, 2017, on TBS and BS-TBS Crunchyroll licensed and streamed the series, and Funimation dubbed the series and released it on home video in North America. The series ran for 12 episodes.
- Naoto Miura
- is a high school student and a machine otaku. He has a hearing ability better than other people, which is why he wears headphones with a noise-canceling ability. Naoto is not interested in human girls, but he is romantically attracted to RyuZU, who is an automaton.
- is an automaton that “Y” left behind. She is Unit 1 of the “Initial-Y Series” and was manufactured about 1,000 years ago, but was broken 206 years ago and has been in a non-functional state ever since. After Naoto repaired the failure inside her that nobody could fix, she treats him like her own master. Contrary to her beautiful appearance, RyuZU has an incredibly sharp mouth. Her supreme command is “One Who Follows”.
- Marie Bell Breguet
- is the youngest president of Breguet company and a first-class clock technician. She is a self confident genius girl with a sharp mouth. After she and Naoto stopped the Kyoto purge, she faked her own death and decided to keeping the clockwork in the planet safe.
- Vainney Halter
- is Marie’s bodyguard and a former soldier. He specializes in fighting with a mechanized body of latest technology. He has been with and supported Marie for a long time.
- is another automaton part of the “Initial-Y Series” that is listed as Unit 4, RyuZU’s “younger sister”. She was the only automaton that was manufactured as a weapon among the “Initial-Y Series”, giving her the strongest combat ability. Her supreme command is “One Who Annihilates”.
- is a genius engineer who is said to have rebuilt the entire functions on Earth with gears. He also created a series of automatons called “Initial-Y Series”, but the blueprints of his creations have long been lost.