Karneval is a Japanese manga series by Tōya Mikanagi which originally started serialization in the monthly Josei Manga magazine Monthly Comic Zero Sum published by Ichijinsha on August 28, 2007. There are currently twenty-one volumes released in Japan. A 13-episode anime adaptation by Manglobe aired between April and June 2013.
An anime adaptation was announced in April 2012. The anime premiered on April 3, 2013 on ABC. It was later licensed for streaming by Funimation in North America and premiered on their streaming service April 8, 2013 at 12:35pm EST. The anime was released by Bandai Visual on Blu-ray and DVD volumes with English subtitles, with the first volume being released on May 28, 2013. The opening theme is “Henai no Rondo” by Granrodeo while the ending theme is “Reason” by Kamiyu.
- The Second Ship’s Fighter Yogi is an eccentric 21-year-old man who’s always bright and cheerful. He is Hirato’s subordinate. Despite his age, he tends to act like a child. He wears a white allergy patch on his left cheek, that, when removed, causes him to become extremely violent, as well as changing his hair color. While he states that battles make him nervous, he is still a skilled fighter. During the Circus’ public shows he usually wears a cat costume named “Nyanperona” and hands out candy to children. His weapons are two thorn-like épées, and the name of his special attack is Dornkiste (German for “thorn chest”). He calls Nai “little Nai”. He looks after Gareki and Nai with Tsukumo. Though Yogi cares for everyone, he has a soft spot for Gareki.
- Another fighter of the Second Ship’s crew, and Hirato’s subordinate. She is always wearing a serious expression on her face, is down to earth, and very dedicated. Tsukumo is a skilled acrobat and her beauty is complimented by both men and women. She is the most level-headed out of the group, and tries to be the shoulder to lean on even though she has a hard time understanding others emotions. Tsukumo is close to Nai, and cares about his well-being. She hated insects ever since she was a child, which was shown when Yogi mentioned that the species “niji” has a diet of primarily insects.
- The Second Ship’s Captain. A very polite 27-year-old man who doesn’t take his work too seriously, but does his job well. His smile can be deceiving and people have a hard time figuring out his true intentions and feelings. Upon taking Gareki and Nai on board his ship, he entrusts them to Yogi and Tsukumo. His weapon is a cane, and the name of his special attack is Vakuum (German for “vacuum”).
- The Second Ship’s 25-year-old Lieutenant. She appears to be soft and feminine when she’s with women but acts masculine when she’s with men. She is very fond of Tsukumo.
- A doctor working for the government. He’s a complete workaholic; a fact which often grates on the nerves of the people around him. He doesn’t seem to have a good relationship with Hirato and Yogi seems to be slightly scared of him. It is implied that he is wealthy. Due to the reserved, unfeeling and stoic front he puts up most of the time he is rather disliked by many, yet he is actually a very gentle person who cares for living beings, Nai being one of them.
- A soft-spoken botanist who also First Ship’s fighter. Jiki seems to have feelings for Tsukumo from the Second Ship and he does not get along very well with Eva.
- The First Ship’s Captain. An easygoing member of Circus who does not care about the small things. He often comes off as being quite rude, but he is simply being straightforward with his observations. He is the same age as Hirato.
- The First Ship’s fighter. A female member of Circus who is strong-willed, a sore loser and perfectionist. She considers Tsukumo her rival.
- Akari’s long-haired assistant, originally stationed in Life Division but occasionally help in Research Tower. He’s very gentle and a bit of a klutz. His face is usually littered with band-aids. His family was killed by Varuga.
- The person that Nai is looking for. He is 18 years old, and is described by Nai as a gentle person, but their connection is still unknown. He is still alive, but his location is unknown. At the end of the second episode of the anime, however, it is implied that Karoku is held somewhere by Kafka. He is seen in a dark greenhouse full of roses with Eliška, the young granddaughter of a rich industrial who is implied to be the leader of Kafka. He sends messages to Nai through brain waves. He calls Nai his “special child”. During the incident at Smokey Resident, it is revealed that there are two Karokus; one that appears to be Karoku but is not, and one that is the original Karoku. Gareki and Nai rescue the presumably dead original Karoku but Akari brings him back to life. When revived, he has no memories of who Nai is. After Nai protects him from dying, Karoku remembers Nai again.
- The 14-year-old granddaughter of Palnedo, the CEO of Gald. She grew up in an environment where she was treated like a princess, and as a result she was brought up to be a selfish girl who does not know how to be considerate towards others. She is revealed to have feelings for the fake Karoku. At one point when she hears Karoku say there is a special child in circus, she believes him to be talking about Tsukumo, which makes her feel jealous. She seems to be unaware of Uro and her grandfather’s true intentions and schemes.