Viz Media began publishing an English translation in 2014. Two original video animations (OVAs), abridging the Bugs 2 arc were released in 2014, and an animated television series, covering the Annex 1 arc was also shown in 2014. A live action film adaptation directed by Takashi Miike was released in 2016.
An anime adaptation produced by Liden Films began airing on September 26, 2014, and finished airing on December 19, 2014 with a total of 13 episodes. The anime is licensed in the United Kingdom by Kazé UK and in North America by Viz Media. Madman Entertainment acquired the series for release in Australia and New Zealand.
A sequel to the anime titled Terra Formars: Revenge was announced in November 2015, with changes to the series’ main staff and the main cast returning to reprise their roles. Liden Films and TYO Animations produced the sequel. The anime premiered on April 2, 2016.
An OVA adaptation of the manga’s Earth Arc was planned for a May 2017 release, but was delayed to an August 2018 release instead.
A live-action film based on Terra Formars was developed with Takashi Miike directing. It was released on April 29, 2016.
- Shokichi Komachi
- is one of the three Japanese members of the BUGS 2 expedition sent to Mars and one of the only two who survived. Despite disliking conflict, has a strong sense of justice. When he was 15 years old, he saw his childhood friend Nanao’s stepfather abusing her and killed the man with his bare hands to protect her. After being released from juvenile prison, he underwent the bugs procedure to follow after her.
- He was 22 years old when he was sent to the second expedition and after seeing almost all his companions killed by the Terraformars including Nanao, he swore to one day return and enact his revenge. He indeed returns 20 years later as the Japanese leader of Annex I’s squad 1. Komachi’s powers are based on the Asian giant hornet, giving him enhanced strength and the ability to inflict lethal doses of poison with his stings. He is mortally wounded by Joseph during their fight, but he manages to kill him thanks to an overdose of the transformation drug keeping his body together.
- Ichiro Hiruma
- The other survivor of the BUGS 2 expedition when he was 18, Hiruma swore to never return to Mars after what happened. Being the eldest of eleven siblings, he tried to betray the rest of the BUGS 2 crew along with one of his comrades, Victoria Wood, in order to gain more money by bringing a roach egg, but the egg hatched faster than expected and killed Victoria. He was saved by Shokichi and they fiercely fought the rest of the roaches. He eventually becomes the Prime Minister of Japan and works to enforce his country’s position among the countries leading the Annex I mission. Hiruma’s powers are based on the sleeping chironomid that just like its larva, bestows him with a seemingly invulnerable carapace along enhanced strength.
- Nanao Akita
- Shokichi’s childhood friend and love interest who, after her stepfather was killed by Shokichi, joined the BUGS 2 crew. All she wanted was a peaceful life with Shokichi after returning to Earth, but tragically she was the first victim of the Terraformars when one of the roaches snapped her neck, dying in Shokichi’s arms. Her powers were based on the silk moth, but died before being able to show them, until one of the Terraformars managed to copy her powers twenty years later.
- Donatello K. Davis
- The Captain of the BUGS 2 mission and Michelle’s father. His powers were based on the Paraponera clavata, an ant so ferocious that even Army Ants will steer clear of its path, and is believed to be the world’s strongest insect. He was capable of splitting in two the previously untouchable roaches with the pure strength of his arms or crush their heads with one hand. His power allowed him to fight off a horde of roaches singlehanded, giving time for his crew to escape. He was murdered by Victoria Wood. His daughter Michelle inherited his ant powers. Twenty years later, Michelle faces a roach that stole his powers.