Antique Bakery is a manga by Fumi Yoshinaga depicting the lives of four men who work in a small bakery. It was published in Japan by Shinshokan and in English by Digital Manga Publishing. The series won the 2002 Kodansha Manga Award for shōjo manga. The manga was adapted as a Japanese TV drama, with the title Antique or Antique Cake Store, that was broadcast on Fuji TV in 2001, an anime television series, airing on July 3, 2008 on Noitamina, and a Korean live-action film.
- Keisuke (Keiichirō) Tachibana
- The owner of the Antique Bakery, as well as a waiter. He was childhood friends with Chikage, the son of his family’s live-in housekeeper. He was also Ono’s classmate in school and harshly rejected Ono’s love confession. He seems to be the only man whom Ono finds attractive, but who is not attracted to Ono in return. Tachibana comes from a rich family. He was kidnapped when he was a child. The one thing he remembers about his abductor is that he loved cake and fed him the cakes he bought every single day. Although Tachibana was rescued, his abductor was never found. After this ordeal, his family became overly protective of him. He feels obliged to play the “good boy” for his relatives because he does not want them to worry about him. As a result of his experiences, he often suffers from nightmares and has no taste for sweets. He is also fluent in French.
In the Antique Bakery dōjinshi by the author, it was revealed that Keisuke has had multiple girlfriends during the course of Antique Bakery.
- Yusuke Ono
- The pâtissier, a renowned chef who has been fired from many bakeries because of his “Demonic Charm”: whenever he is attracted to a man, that man—whether gay or straight—suddenly becomes irresistibly attracted to him in return. His coworkers will inevitably fight over him, and Ono will wind up fired again. This stemmed from when he was in high school, when Tachibana turned him down. He went into a gay bar, and suddenly he became a very popular lover. He has said his type is older men. He is also scared of women, and is fluent in French as well.
In the Antique Bakery dōjinshi by the author, Ono begins an intimate relationship with Chikage, however he is still ultimately in love with Tachibana.
- Eiji Kanda
- is Ono’s apprentice, as well as other help in the kitchen. He is a former street punk who was picked up off the street and reformed by a boxing coach. He trained to be a boxer, and was a top fighter. However, due to his detached retinas, he had to give up boxing. He saw a “Help Wanted” ad in the bakery’s window, and decided to join. He has a huge sweet tooth. He holds Ono in very high regard, calling him his “Master”, due to his skill in making sweets. Over time they have developed more of a father-son relationship than that of a master and apprentice.
In the Antique Bakery dōjinshi by the author, Kanda and his French teacher Constance appear to be dating.
- Chikage Kobayakawa
- is Tachibana’s childhood friend. His family works at the Tachibana house. He was sent by the Tachibana family to watch out for his friend. Chikage is trained to become a waiter by Tachibana. However, he is very klutzy and has a hard time. He wears sunglasses all of the time, as his eyes are weak. He has a crush on Ono, though he thinks Ono doesn’t feel the same way (on the contrary, Ono is in love with Chikage). He is very shy and polite. He calls Tachibana “Young Master” after the game “Ōoka Echizen”. Chikage is also two years older than Tachibana and has a daughter.
In the Antique Bakery dōjinshi by the author, Chikage and Ono begin an intimate relationship.