Moriarty the Patriot is a Japanese mystery manga series written by Ryōsuke Takeuchi and illustrated by Hikaru Miyoshi, based on Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes series. It is a prequel, focusing on the youth of Holmes’ nemesis, mathematics prodigy, William James Moriarty. An anime television series adaptation by Production I.G aired from October to December 2020. The series is a split-cour anime, with the second half set to premiere in April 2021.
An anime television series adaptation was announced at the Jump Festa ’20 event on December 22, 2019. The series is directed by Kazuya Nomura at Production I.G, with Tooru Ookubo designing the characters and serving as chief animation director. Gō Zappa and Taku Kishimoto are in charge of scripts, and Asami Tachibana is composing the music. While the first episode was pre-screened on September 21, 2020, the series officially aired from October 11 to December 20, 2020 on Tokyo MX, BS11, and MBS. The opening theme song, “DYING WISH”, is performed by Tasuku Hatanaka, while the ending theme song, “ALPHA”, is performed by STEREO DIVE FOUNDATION. Muse Communication has licensed the anime in Southeast Asia and South Asia, and is steeaming it on its Muse Asia YouTube channel. Funimation also acquired the series to stream on its website in North America and the British Isles. The series will run for 24 episodes, with the 13-episode second half set to premiere in April 2021.
Two stage musical adaptations ran in Japan between 2019 and 2020.
- William James Moriarty
- The middle Moriarty brother and a crime consultant. He possesses great intelligence and uses it to come up with the perfect crimes in hopes of ending the class system and reforming society. He helps victims of class-influenced crimes get their revenge by setting up a crime scene where their victims do the killing without leaving any evidence of their involvement behind. William was originally raised in an orphanage before being adopted by Albert and assumed the identity of the real William after he was killed through one of his crime schemes.
- Albert James Moriarty
- The oldest of the Moriarty brothers. He is the only true Moriarty of the brothers as he adopted William and Louis after witnessing how broken his real family is and came to believe in William’s dreams of remaking society.
- Louis James Moriarty
- The youngest of the Moriarty brothers. He was raised in an orphanage alongside William. As a child, he suffered from an unknown illness and would have died until Albert’s father was manipulated into getting him life saving surgery, curing his illness. He is devoted to William and obeys his every order.
- Sherlock Holmes
- Moriarty’s rival, he is a consulting detective who helps Scotland Yard with criminal cases that they can’t solve.
- John H. Watson
- Watson is a veteran who was a combat medic in the First Anglo-Afghan War as well as Sherlock’s flatmate who helps him solve cases.
- Fred Porlock
- An associate of William’s who is a master of disguise and martial arts, including the deadly use of knives and firearms. He acts as William’s spy and information gatherer and very rarely speaks unless delivering the information he has gathered. Despite his withdrawn personality, at heart he is quite gentle and kind, especially around children and hates when children are the victims of crimes.
- Sebastian Moran
- Sebastian is one of William’s associates. A career soldier who was encouraged to leave the army after he began turning to a life of crime. He is a firearms expert, able to hit his targets at quite extreme distances, especially with rifles and acts as William’s soldier, bodyguard and assassin. He has expressed a willingness to sacrifice his own life if William requires it and believes in his dream of a better society.
- Mycroft Holmes
- Sherlock’s older brother.
- Irene Adler
- An associate of Holmes and Moriarty and expert cross-dresser and spy.