Ai Shite Knight is a shōjo manga created in the early 1980s by Kaoru Tada. An anime version of the story in 42 episodes was also produced in 1983-1984 by Toei Animation. A live action adaptation was also produced.
The anime version of “Ai Shite Knight” was produced by Toei Animation in 1983-1984, for a total of 42 episodes directed by Osamu Kasai, a veteran Toei director. The “Ai Shite Knight” anime presents some significant changes in the storyline and modifications in the characters’ stories, and covers only one part of the story narrated by Tada in the manga. It was developed to target a younger audience than that of the manga with some aspects toned down and simplified.
Famous voice actress and pop idol Mitsuko Horie provided the voice of Yakko in the anime. Isao Sasaki was the voice of Go, Katsuji Mori of Satomi, Takeshi Aono of Shige-San, and Yūko Mita of Hashizo. Masa Amamori provided the voice of Juliano. Mitsuko Horie also sang “Koi wa Totsuzen”, the song featured in the opening credits of each episode.
- Yaeko (Yakko) Mitamura
- Yaeko (Yakko) (born September 15) is 18 years old at the beginning of the story. Yakko works at her father’s okonomiyaki restaurant “Mambo” in Osaka as well as attending evening classes at the university. Yakko is a romantic and a little naive, and she is flattered by the attention paid to her by one of the regular customers of her father’s restaurant, handsome and long-haired Satomi Okawa. One day she casually meets two people that will change her life: Go Kato and his little brother Hashizo. Yakko soon discovers that Go and Satomi are friends and both members of an emerging rock band, “Bee Hive”. She is attracted to them both but soon realizes she will have to make a choice between them. She becomes Go’s girlfriend, although his career as a musician causes more than one problem for their relationship.
- Go Kato
- is the lead singer of “Bee Hive” and a student at the university. He lives with his little brother Hashizo in a small apartment and is trying to become a professional and successful musician. He is cocky but charming and has a reputation of being a playboy. However, when he falls in love with Yakko, he becomes totally devoted to her, although he has to struggle with juggling his musical career and romantic relationship.
- Even though Isao Sasaki is a singer, Go’s songs are actually sung by Ai Takano in the anime.
- Hashizo Kato
- Hashizo’s real name is Hideki, but he was given the name “Hashizo” by his brother Go when he went to live with him after the death of his parents. Hashizo is Go’s half-brother, being the son of Go’s father and his mistress. After their death in car crash, Go decided to look after his baby brother although still very young himself, and they have been living together ever since. Hashizo is a very responsible little boy and, because of Go’s career as a musician, he spends a lot of time alone with his best friend, the cat Juliano. When he meets Yakko, he becomes very attached to her, and the “Mambo” becomes his second home.
- Satomi Okawa
- Satomi is Go’s best friend and the keyboard player for “Bee Hive”; he comes from a wealthy family and is an incredibly talented musician. Opposite to Go, he is calm and more introverted. He is also a university student and gives private keyboard lessons in his spare time. He falls in love with Yakko even before Go does, and when he finds out that Go is also after Yakko, he leaves the band for some time. He finally realizes that Yakko has chosen Go, and returns to the band. He helps Yakko and Go through difficult times as a good and faithful friend.