Wit Studio produced a three-part prequel OVA of the manga and is doing the production for an anime television series adaptation that began airing in October 2017.
- Chise Hatori
- The protagonist and titular character of the story. She is the apprentice and future bride to Elias Ainsworth. Her father and brother abandoned the family when she was young, and her mother committed suicide in front of her. Feeling unwanted by her relatives, she sold herself into slavery so that she did not have to worry about anything, with Elias purchasing her. She is a Sleigh Beggy, a special magus who can draw magic from her surroundings and within herself, at the cost of dying young because of the strain in her body, hence why Elias took her in, hoping to prevent her death. She has about three years left to live naturally at most.
- Elias Ainsworth
- The Child of Thorns, Chise’s master and fiancé, once apprenticed to Master Lindenbaum. A being with both fae and human elements, his origins are a mystery. Known as the Thorn Sorcerer, the other faeries see him as an abomination, something he does not mind. Besides using glamour to hide his appearance, he can control and also turn himself into shadows, and when angry enough, he takes on a more monstrous form. He can even change his head to a human’s using magic. Despite claiming to lack human emotions, after some time caring for Chise he has slowly developed a true fondness for her. However, his innate lack of understanding certain human emotions makes Lindenbaum call him a child. He dislikes children. He says they do not have magic powers, but they are talented in being able to see the true nature of things, so sometimes he is found out. He is called “Pilum Muralis” by the wizards.
- Introduced in chapter nine, he is Chise’s familiar, a black grim who was originally a church guard dog who chased away grave robbers and evil spirits. He was formally called Yuris and used to be owned by Isabel in chapter ten. He thinks of himself as a human, thus able to maintain human form, until he remembers who he is in chapter twelve. He shares a mental link with Chise and considers her a sister.
- Angelica Varley
- Introduced in chapter two, she is an old acquaintance of Elias. She is a witch and a technician of the Magus Craft. She has a daughter named Alucia Barlei.
- Her father was a technician of the Magus Craft. Even though her father was a magician, Angelica, who only had the quality of a sorcerer, could not directly learn the ways of her father. She worked hard to find her own method of performing magic.
- Introduced in chapter two, she is the fairy landlady of the house where Elias and Chise reside. Originally a banshee (chapter twenty four), she is now silent and takes care of the housekeeping duties in the household.
- Introduced in chapter three, he is Elias’s magician Master, commonly referred as Lindel, lives in the Land of Dragons, the last sanctuary of dragons. He is the caretaker of the dragon’s nest. His title is Echoes, Song of Flowers and has lived for hundreds of years.