World Trigger, also known in short form as WorTri, is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Daisuke Ashihara, which was initially serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump from February 2013 to November 2018, and later transferred in December 2018 to Jump Square. An anime adaptation of the series produced by Toei Animation started airing on October 5, 2014; the series ended on April 3, 2016.
An anime adaptation of World Trigger was announced on May 27, 2014 and was to start airing in October 2014. On July 8, 2014, it was revealed that the anime adaptation would be produced by Toei Animation. On August 4, 2014, the anime’s official website revealed the voice cast (in Japanese alphabetical order): Nobuhiko Okamoto, Rie Kugimiya, Hideyuki Tanaka, Nao Tamura, Jun Fukuyama, Tomo Muranaka and Yūki Kaji. It also revealed that the anime would be broadcast on TV Asahi. An event was held on Roppongi Hills Arena (TV Asahi’s “Summer Festival” venue) revealing the full cast and the characters they would be playing. On August 6, 2014, the combined 37-38th issue of Weekly Shonen Jump revealed the roles for some of the cast, as well announcing the addition of Yūichi Nakamura as Yuichi Jin. On August 11, 2014, the official website for the anime was updated to reveal the rest of the cast members’ roles and a promotional video for the anime was posted. On August 20, 2014, Weekly Shōnen Jump‘s 39th issue revealed more of the anime’s cast. On August 25, 2014, the anime’s official website revealed the anime would premier in October 5, 2014. On August 29, Weekly Shōnen Jump‘s 39th issue revealed the staff, with Mitsuru Hongo directing the anime at Toei Animation with series composition by Hiroyuki Yoshino. Toshihisa Kaiya and Hitomi Tsuruta were announced as character designers and animation directors, and Kenji Kawai composing the music for the soundtrack. The series was slated to run for 50 episodes, but ended up having 73 episodes. On September 10, it was revealed that the Nagoya trio Sonar Pocket would perform the anime’s opening theme, “GIRIGIRI”. Like in most of the TV anime that are broadcast on TV Asahi in Japan, the World Trigger anime incorporates all the credits into the opening theme and there is only an opening for the show and no ending for the show.
In summer 2015, the World Trigger Summer Festival 2015 event announced World Trigger: Isekai Kara no Tōbōsha, a brand new series with an original story not presented in the World Trigger manga, and with new characters and concepts. This “new series” actually ended up being the “Fugitve Arc” of the anime, which ran from Episodes 49 to 63. On March 7, 2016, it was confirmed that the World Trigger anime would end, after it was announced that TV Asahi would be replacing the time slot airing it with sports programming.
In July 2015, it was announced that Toei would be producing an English dub with Ocean Productions. The series began airing in the United States on Primo TV on January 16, 2017.
The series ranked 10th in the Tokyo Anime Award Festival’s top 100 TV anime series of 2016. During NHK’S top 100 anime voting, World Trigger placed 158 out of 400, tied with Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare.
- Yūma Kuga
- Coming from the Neighbor World, he has a laid back attitude, and isn’t very knowledgeable of Japanese customs, leading him into confusions with the wrong people. When he was 11, he and his father Yūgo Kuga were on a war in the Neighbor world, lending their power to an old friend of his father. In an occasion where his father told him not to follow him, Yūma disobeyed his father, sneaking into battle, which caused his death. His father, finding his dying son, sacrificed his life to create a Black Trigger to revive Yūma. Yuma’s dead body is sealed in a ring that also holds his black trigger and he received a body made from trion. His guardian, Replica, told him to go to the Human world and see if Border could find a cure to his condition (though he wanted to bring his father back instead), only to find out they didn’t know the answer either. In chapter 33 he officially joined Border as a C-Rank attacker in Mikumo Unit. As he explained, he’s what they actually call a “Neighbor”, and the creatures that have been attacking the human world are actually “Trion Soldiers”, drones created to perform different tasks. He received the nickname “C-Rank White Devil”, and in the B-Rank Wars, his nickname becomes “White Nightmare”, due to his white hair and ferocity in battle. Despite his young appearance, he is 15 years old. He is an Attacker that uses Scorpion to fight in the Rank Wars. He also possesses a Side Effect which enables him to accurately determine when a person is lying.
- Osamu Mikumo
- A Border agent with low Trion level. He is usually referred as simply “Four Eyes” by people outside the Mikumo unit. He later promoted into B-Rank Border and later became a Shooter and the leader of Mikumo Unit, also known as Tamakoma Second. He became Chika’s protector after her older brother (and his tutor) disappeared mysteriously, and joined Border in order to be better able to protect her, but the examiner suggested him to become an Engineer or Operator, due to his low trion. Unable to accept this, he imprudently tried to infiltrate Border’s headquarters and negotiate with them, but he was almost attacked by a Bamster, which was destroyed by Jin. He befriended Yūma after he was transferred to his school. He is 15 years old. He is a Shooter.
- Yūichi Jin
- Yūichi is an A-Rank Solo Attacker (originally S-Rank) at Border with precognitive powers. He is a very friendly and carefree person. He is a self-proclaimed “Talented Elite”, but his skills and strategies in battle are more than enough to back up his confidence. His mother was killed by Neighbors but despite that, he doesn’t hate Neighbors, as he has been to the Neighbor World and knows not all Neighbors are evil. He was the one who invited Yūma to join Border. Like Yūma’s father, his mentor Sōichi Mogami sacrificed his own life to create a Black Trigger, which Yūichi competed for, and later gave it away so that Yūma could officially join and be recognized as a Border agent by Headquarters. He is 19 years old.
- Chika Amatori
- A girl with huge trion level, which “attracts” Trion Soldiers towards her. Her brother Rinji and friend were captured by the neighbor, and tired of running away and looking for a way to rescue them, she joins Border as a C-Rank Sniper in Mikumo Unit. She purposely keeps herself away from others because she is afraid she’ll cause them to be captured by Neighbors and she doesn’t want to get hurt. She also has a side effect that allows her to feel the presence of Trion Soldiers and hide her presence from them. Izumi labeled her as “Tamakoma’s Trion Monster”, due to her huge amount of trion. In the B-Rank Wars, the official nickname is “Super Trion Monster”. She has short hair styled in a hime cut, with a cowlick in the middle. She is 13 years old.
- Yūma’s guardian, created by his father to protect Yūma and teach him right from wrong. He has information on various countries that Yūma and his father visited. He was the one who told Yūma to come to the human world. Replica told Osamu Yūma’s story, and asked him to give Yūma a new goal. At the end of the large scale invasion by Aftokrator, Replica is severely damaged. While in this state he, with the help of Osamu, infiltrates the black trigger ship and manages to send the ship back. While this ultimately saved Osuma and Chika, replica was unable to leave the ship. It is currently unknown if he managed to survive or if he is still “alive” or not.